Ghiya/Lauki/Doodhi (Bottle gourd Halwa)
Ghiya (Lauki/bottle gourd) - 1 kg
Ghee - 2 table spoons
sugar - 250 grms (more or less as per the taste )
Milk - 1/2 liter
Khoa - 100 grms OR pedas
Rose water essence - 1table spoon
Dry fruits of your choice
Food color - Optional (green or pink)
Dessciated coconut - 2 tea spoons for garnishing optional
Choose nice bottle gourd which have less or no seeds.Peel off the bottle gourd. Its better to take a taste of raw ghiya as sometimes they are bitter in taste.Grate bottle gourd and remove if it has big seeds, while small and soft seeds can be used.
Now take a big pan/kadahi and put 2 table spoons of pure ghee(can take more or less too). Heat ghee and add grated ghiya in that.
Now mix well and cover the pot and let it cook on low flame for 5-10 mnts. Ghiya releases natural water and it will help it to cook.
Now add milk and cook again for 10 mnts. Cook till the milk is disappreared and the mixture is not looking watery.
Now you can add 50 grams of khoa or pedas. cook it again for 10 mnts. Cook it untill you get the halwa consistency. Now add sugar and cook it. Add
cardamom powder dry fruits and essence.
1. Taste the bitter gourd before making halwa.
2. Do not squeeze water from the grated bitter gourd
3. You can avoid adding food color but you can make look appealing to eat with adding a bit of green color.
4. Adding rose essence increases the flovour but you can avoid
5. You can add more ghee or can completely avoid.
6. You can vaporise extra water/moisture in halwa till you get desired consistancy
7. Always cook on low-medium flame, never pressure cook it
8. If you do not get khoa then you can buy readymade pedas from market and use it in halwa but then you need to cut the sugar as pedas already have sugar in that
9. If you dont want to use khoa or peda then take more milk (doubled) and vaporise it so it will taste good..
10. You can taste the halwa and add anything anytime you need and cook it for some more time
Will restore all stories present before deactivation.
It may take sometime to restore your stories.